Get enough rest!
Do you feel stressed and barely able to keep on top of things?
Doing more stuff to help try and tackle the workload may not be the answer, instead taking time for proper sleep may be just the thing you need to get back on track to feeling great about things.
Getting enough sleep is essential for reducing stress levels in your life…
When we don’t get enough sleep, our bodies produce more stress hormones, which can lead to feelings of anxiety and irritability, all of which can lead to a spiral of burnout if not addressed.
Not getting enough quality sleep
21 percent of adults report feeling more stressed if they have not had enough sleep.
Adults with higher reported stress levels (eight, nine or 10 on a 10-point scale) fare even worse — 45 percent feel even more stressed if they do not get enough sleep.
In other words, if you are already feeling stressed then a lack of good sleep is only going to exacerbate the problem.
(Information from the American Psychological Association)
5 tips for reducing stress by getting enough rest
Here are five tips to help you get better sleep and reduce stress:
- Stick to a regular sleep schedule. Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends.
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine. This could include reading a book, taking a warm bath, or practising meditation.
- Make sure your sleep environment is comfortable. Invest in a comfortable mattress and pillows, keep your bedroom cool and dark, and reduce noise as much as possible.
- Avoid screens before bedtime. The blue light emitted by electronic devices can disrupt your sleep patterns.
- Limit caffeine and alcohol consumption. Both can interfere with sleep quality and make it harder to fall asleep.
The benefits of getting enough rest
By prioritizing sleep and making a few simple changes to your routine, you can reduce stress and improve your overall well-being.
On the face of it, all of this may seem like a burdensome time investment. why not just grab rest when you can just squeeze it in when you have the time?
Lack of sleep, especially good quality sleep, leads to an ever-increasing spiral of fatigue, and increasing levels of stress which can drive us faster and faster towards burning out.
Is it time to slow down and make that space in your life for the rest you need?
Yes, it’s a time investment, but it’s an investment you deserve…
If you’d like to see more content, news and articles then sign up for my monthly newsletter to get the latest straight to your inbox.
If you have any questions or feedback regarding this article, any of the issues it raises, or if you’d just like to get in touch to find out more about fulfilling your true potential I would love to hear from you.